Smoked Vegan Queso
Do you love cheese but cheese doesn’t love you? We’ve got you covered with our Vegan & GF nut-based queso. Impress all your vegan friends with your new cooking skills!
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1/4 cup Brightcider
- ½ water
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt, more to taste
- 1 small can diced green chilis
- 2 tsp hot sauce (we used YellowBird Habanero)
- Spiceology’s Purple Haze All-Purpose Rub
- ⅔ cup well-drained fire-roasted tomatoes (I recommend Muir Glen brand) or chunky salsa
- Optional fresh chopped cilantro and diced tomatoes for serving
- Soak cashews overnight in water (just enough water so that they’re covered).
- Start by adding the soaked and drained cashews, water, lemon juice, salt, and nutritional yeast to a high-powered blender.
- Drain the juice from the tomatoes and green chiles over a small bowl. Add the saved liquid to the blender. Keep the tomatoes and green chiles on the side for now.
- Blend on high for a few minutes until very smooth.
- Add the “cheese” sauce and the tomatoes and green chiles to a small cast iron pan. Heat until the top turns golden brown. The mixture will thicken slightly.
- Top with any garnishes you’d like.