Bad Apple Tofu Turkey
Gluten Free | Vegetarian
TOFU TURKEY & GLAZE:
- ¼ cup Bad Apple (and enjoy the rest after finishing the stuffing!)
- 5 (16 ounce) packages extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 5 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon honey mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 cups prepared herb stuffing
- ¼ cup Bad Apple (enjoy the rest as you cook!)
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 1/4 cups diced celery
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/8 cup dried sage
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- S & P to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 cup tamari
PREPPING THE TOFU
- Line a medium sized, round colander with a cheese cloth and place over the top of a bowl to catch the liquid.
- Place the crumbled tofu in the colander with another cheese cloth on top.
- Put a heavy weight on top of the tofu and refrigerate for 2 – 3 hours.
- Saute onion, celery and mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of the sesame oil until tender.
- Add the garlic, sage, thyme, salt and pepper, rosemary, ¼ cup Bad Apple and 1/4 cup of the tamari.
- Stir well; cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
TOFU TURKEY COOKING
- Preheat the oven to 400℉.
- Grease a cookie sheet or lay down aluminum foil for easy clean up.
- Combine ¼ cup Bad Apple, 1/2 cup sesame oil, 1/4 cup tamari, miso, orange juice, mustard and orange zest in a small bowl; mix well.
- Remove the weight from the tofu and hollow out the tofu so that there is one inch of tofu still lining the colander. Place the scooped out tofu in a separate bowl.
- Brush the tofu lining with a small amount of the miso seasoning.
- Scoop the stuffing into the center of the tofu shell.
- Place the leftover tofu on top of the stuffing and press down firmly.
- Turn the stuffed tofu onto the prepared cookie sheet with the leftover tofu side of the “turkey” (the flat side) down.
- Gently press on the sides of the “turkey” to form a more oval shape. Brush the tofu turkey with 1/2 of the Bad Apple-oil-tamari mixture.
- Place the sprigs of rosemary on top of the tofu and cover the “turkey” with foil.
- Bake for one hour.
- After one hour, remove “turkey” from the oven and remove the foil.
- Baste the “turkey” with the remaining Bad Apple-oil-tamari mixture (reserving 4 tablespoons of sauce).
- Return “turkey” to oven and bake 1 hour or until the tofu turkey is golden brown.
- Place the tofu turkey on a serving platter, brush with the remaining tamari-oil mixture and serve hot.